2016 Society of Young Inklings Write-a-Thon
A team for SOCIETY OF YOUNG INKLINGS INC
Help us write 100,000 words during the week of November 11-18 and raise $5,000 to support this year's Inklings Book Contest.
Help us write 100,000 words during the week of November 11-18, and with your mighty pens, pencils and keyboards, raise $5,000 to support this year’s Inklings Book contest.
What is a Write-a-Thon?
The Write-A-Thon is an opportunity for youth ages 5-17 to raise money while challenging them to write as many words as they can during November 11-18. The money raised will help offset costs for the annual Inklings Book Contest. Students ask family, friends, and neighbors to sponsor them for their Write-a-Thon.
How many words are our young writers challenged to write?
The challenge is 100,000 collective words during the week of November 11-18 to raise $5,000 to support this year’s Inklings Book contest.
READY TO CREATE FOR A CAUSE? GREAT! LET’S GET STARTED
What can I write?
Participants are encouraged to write ONE creative story or poem. If you already have an idea for what you want to write, GREAT! If not, Society of Young Inklings has optional prompts to help you. Keep Track of your Word Tally with the Words Tally Form (http://younginklings.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Words-Tally-Form.pdf).
1. The wind howled in the trees. The animals shivered in their beds. He was here…
2. The carnival was only in town for a few days; this was her last chance to find the treasure…
3. The door creaked open as he knocked…
How do I fundraise for the Write-a-Thon?
Young writers ask family, friends and neighbors to pledge money to the Write-A-Thon for each word they write during Nov 11-18. All donations are tax deductible. Sponsors will receive a tax receipt.
NOW… In Person AND/OR Online?
In Person Fundraising
How to Collect Cash or Check Donations:
Use the sponsor-form to collect donations (http://younginklings.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Sponsor-Form.pdf).
Suggest that sponsors donate a flat dollar amount, based on the student’s total goal for Nov 11-18. For example: $20 for 1,000 words written. Sometimes you can even collect the donation on the spot!
Another idea is to ask for a per word pledge. For example, a student’s goal is to write 1,000 words during Nov 11-18. If a sponsor pledges $0.02 per word, the total donation would be $20.
“Hello. My name is _____________. I’m participating in Society of Young Inklings’ Write-a-Thon to raise money for our annual Book Contest. The money we raise will be used to offer over 300 young writers across the nation the opportunity to be published in a book. Each applicant receives individualized feedback whether they win or not. We raise money by writing as many words as we can for a creative piece. We’re asking people to sponsor us for the amount of words we write. I plan to write a total of ________ words during November 11-18. Will you please sponsor me?”
Online Fundraising through Razoo
For families who prefer to fundraise online!
How to Collect Credit Card Donations:
1. Go to our team page at https://www.razoo.com/team/2016-Write-A-Thon (that's the page you're on right now!)
2. Go to the bottom left of the page to the box that says “Join This Team” and click “Fundraise.”
3. You’ll be asked to create your own Razoo Account.
4. When asked to title your fundraiser, use Your Name and SYI Write-a-Thon (for example, Naomi’s SYI Write-a-Thon).
5. You will be directed to create your very own Fund Raising page that will connect with the SYI Write-a-Thon Page!
6. The information about our fundraiser will automatically fill in on your personal page. To personalize your information, adjust your goal amounts for words and dollars. You can also add in your own pictures!
7. Publish and then share the page with your friends and family! When they donate, it will automatically add in to your personal page and to our team page.
8. You can see your own progress on your personal page and the combined work of everyone together every time you visit our team page!
9. Start writing!
What is this I hear about a prize?
One student from each age level who writes the most words and one student from each age level who raises the most money will receive a special writerly gift!
How do I finish my Write-a-Thon entry?
On November 19th, young writers need to finish and send in their Words Tally Form. Writers may keep your story or poem. Who knows – you might even want to hang on to it and submit it for this year's Inklings Book Contest!
If you fundraise online, students may scan and email your Words Tally Form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you fundraise in person students must collect and send sponsorship money along with their Words Tally Form and Sponsor Form to Society of Young Inklings (P.O. Box 26914 San Jose, CA 95159) by December 1st.
When will I find out the results?
The Write-a-Thon committee will tally all the words and donations in early December. Final Results and Winners will be announced in December.
What are the important dates to remember?
*October 24-November 11: Collect sponsors
*November 11: Write-a-Thon begins. (Write as much as you can and TRACK your words using the words-tally-form)
*November 18: Write-a-Thon ends.
*November 19-December 1: Send in materials. If you fundraise online scan and email your Words Tally Form to email@example.com. If you fundraise in person collect and send sponsorship money along with Words Tally Form and Sponsor Form to Society of Young Inklings (P.O. Box 26914 San Jose, CA 95159)
*December: Results are revealed and celebrated!!
How do I remember all that?
Easy! Here a 1-page summary. Screenshot or Print and put it on your desk or fridge! http://younginklings.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/1-Page-Printable.pdf