The Whittier Alliance is a non-profit serving the residents and businesses of the Whittier neighborhood
The Whittier Alliance has been an active neighborhood organization for over 30 years. In those 30 years the neighborhood has prospered without compromising its character or its enthusiasm for embracing eclectic life styles, multi-culturalism, and diversity in households.
Whittier Alliance - Working for You
The Whittier Alliance, working as an advocate for Whittier businesses and residents, has helped to assure that the best qualities of the neighborhood are preserved and balanced with progress. We also advocate on behalf of the neighborhood to governmental bodies, developers, and individuals.
City-wide, the Whittier Alliance is respected for its ability to mobilize residents, businesses, and organizations to voice their opinions and concerns in a manner that encourages collaboration and creative outcomes.
Some recent achievements are:
- Successfully collaborating with the Minneapolis College of Art and Design and the City of Minneapolis to purchase of two turn of century Stevens Ave homes, relocate them to two tax forfeited lots and rehab them for owner occupant purchase.
- Sponsoring successive Whittier Artists in Storefronts exhibits that have drawn local and national media coverage, visitors to Whittier neighborhood, given local artists recognition and exhibit space, reduced the number of vacant store fronts and provided Whittier with 6 permanent public murals and mosaics.
- Supporting Whittier youth by providing over $47,000 in grant funds to Whittier youth serving organizations and partnering with youth organizations to present the World of Whittier Family Fair.
- Supporting Whittier businesses by correcting location and information errors on 5 web based mapping sites and by administering $25,000 in façade improvement grants along Nicollet Ave and E. 26th St.
- Providing an annual calendar to all household featuring Whittier neighborhood people, assets and amenities, cultural and ethnic holidays, Whittier Alliance meeting dates and resource information.
The Whittier Alliance sponsors several neighborhood social, educational, and civic events a year, creating ways for neighbors to meet each other, strengthen the community, and continue to improve the Whittier neighborhood.
We invite you to visit the Whittier Alliance website for a look at our most recent Annual Report, our 2012-2017 Strategic Plan to make Whittier "A World Class Neighborhood", and a detailed budget for the organization.
The staff of the Whittier Alliance and the volunteer Board of Directors are committed to continuing the outreach and advocacy needed to assure that Whittier continues to be a healthy, safe, and vibrant neighborhood for everyone.
We need your help to make this happen!
The Whittier Alliance operates on a very efficient budget. We need your financial support to continue delivering the resources and information that you value and to advocate for the prosperity and progress of the Whittier neighborhood. Please be generous in your support of your neighborhood and your neighborhood organization, and help us match the 2013 pledge of $7,500 by the Whittier Alliance board members and our generous Whittier resident Diane Gorney.
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!