WGBY joins 268 organizations throughout Western Massachusetts for one spectacular day of giving.
Every dollar raised on 12/12/12 directly supports WGBY's critically acclaimed programming and robust community engagement. It's a simple formula: Your generosity + WGBY's dedication = positive impact on the lives of Western New England's residents.
Your gift may also help WGBY win a prize! Each participating nonprofit will be ranked by total dollars raised and total number of unique donors on 12/12/12. Valley Gives will make cash grants to the top three organizations in total number of unique donors and in total dollars raised. The prizes are $15,000, $10,000 and $5,000.
What does WGBY do besides broadcasting trusted PBS programming? More than you probably realize. Take a look at a few of the ways we interact with those around us:
- Latino Youth Media Institue (LYMI) -- Young Latinos from MA and CT area are encouraged to apply for this media internship. Interns are taught the basic production skills needed in television, radio, newspaper and digital storytelling. Throughout the internship interns will complete three major media assignments: a story that will convey an important personal experience, one that relates to their family, and one about their community and how it relates to society as a whole. Some stories will be selected to be broadcasted on public media; and/or published online and in print throughout the year.
- WGBY's Education and Outreach department works to deliver learning opportunities to schools, educators, families and community organizations here in Western Massachusetts. Staff work with districts and schools to deliver programs like summer reading initiatives and teacher professional development. In addition, WGBY's Video Lending Library provides western Massachusetts educators with a comprehensive selection of over 1400 video titles to borrow, FREE.
- The North End Center for Literacy and Learning (NECLL) is a place for students, parents, teachers—anyone in the community interested in improving quality of life through education. A comprehensive schedule of activities like parent workshops, professional development, and technology training sessions have been created, all geared to connecting families and educators with learning resources. The Center is a key part of a WGBY’s Ready To Learn: North End project that will use educational content on multiple platforms including video, online games, mobile apps, and off-line activities.
- Few television programs have what it takes to build a show that lasts for more than a half-century. Yet As Schools Match Wits (ASMW), Western New England’s favorite quiz show, knows the formula well. It returns to WGBY this month for its 52nd season. Open to both public and private high school students throughout western Massachusetts, northern Connecticut and southern Vermont, ASMW is the longest-running show of its kind in the nation. It showcases some of the brightest and most competitive teens in the region, allowing them to shine in a venue that celebrates learning.
- WGBY’s Connecting Point is a half-hour nightly magazine-style program that focuses on timely topics of interest to viewers in Western New England. Interviews, analysis, field reports and other segments will cover topics in science, health and fitness, the arts, social issues and the environment, among others.
- Together In Song celebrates the living choral tradition in Western New England by showcasing up to 50 non-professional choral ensembles in a 10-week television series. The third season kicks off in February and culminates in a choral showcase, broadcast live on WGBY in April 2013.
Make your gift now! Impact WGBY and the many ways it contributes to the community. Please note: because WGBY is part of the WGBH Educational Foundation, your gift will be referenced as such. However, you can be sure that what you contribute here will be directed to WGBY.
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!