Visions Global Empowerment supports educational initiatives for youth affected by poverty and conflict in South Asia and East Africa.
What is Visions?
Visions is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that aims to educate and empower youth affected by poverty and conflict. We work with students, teachers, and NGOs to enable them to become self-sufficient and capable of participating as leaders in today’s society. Visions is driven, managed, and supported by youth and young professionals in the U.S. for the benefit of disadvantaged youth in Sri Lanka, India, and Ethiopia. Based in Los Angeles, CA, volunteers frequently travel abroad on behalf of the organizations to work with youth and implement projects, and to empower local nonprofit organizations.
Where does Visions Work?
Visions' focuses its programming on Sri Lanka, India, and Ethiopia, working with communities deeply affected by poverty, conflict, and other hardships.
What does Visions Do?
We strive to be flexible and dynamic in our approach, yet focused in our efforts to maximize our impact and leverage our resources. Our seven main program areas include:
1. Leadership Program–Since its inception a decade ago, Visions has conducted over 32 leadership & life skills training programs at universities, schools, and children’s homes in India and Sri Lanka, in which approximately 200 international and local volunteers have helped to directly train nearly 1,600 youth and teachers.
2. Scholarship Program–Visions’ local partners help identify students in need of scholarships. Support is provided in a number of ways (school tuition, vocational fees, room and board for residential students, transportation fees, etc.). To-date, Visions has provided 100+ scholarships.
3. Teacher Empowerment Program–Visions coordinates and organizes teacher training programs by connecting experts in a particular subject to a group of teachers in needs of additional support. Some of the types of training include psycho-social support, English, IT, Leadership & Life Skills training.
4. After-School Programs–Visions offers after-school tuition in basic subjects such as Tamil, English, math, science, and social science for youth who have been displaced by conflict or lack access to adequate schools. Accelerated learning programs are also conducted for students who have fallen behind in their formal education on account of war or other disruptions.
5. Kalagam Visions Learning Center (KVLC)–In 2010, a five-story learning center was constructed at the Saiva Mangaiyar Kalagam girls school in Colombo, Sri Lanka, benefitting over 2,200 girls, including several hundred Internally Displaced (IDP) children and orphans from Northeast Sri Lanka. In the long-term, it has been our hope that this center will also serve teachers from other parts of Sri Lanka, as well as local youth and community members.
6. Academic Institutional Development—Visions has supported exemplary academic institutions and schools in both Sri Lanka and India through specialized efforts, including support for IDP students, establishment of a computer lab & music room, scholarships, providing equipment and supplies, and more.
7. Volunteer Programs–Visions offers domestic and international volunteer opportunities and internships. We coordinate service learning trips every summer, arrange for volunteers to visit and conduct special projects and trainings throughout the year, have recently organized a handful of accredited trips on behalf of reputable universities, and established Visions chapters in several cities, including Los Angeles, New York, Boston, Davis, Texas, Philadelphia, Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Washington DC, Auckland, and Brisbane.
8. Capacity Building Programs—In the past decade, Visions has nurtured partnerships with more than a dozen local civil society organizations. While they implement their programs, we provide guidance and support in all areas of nonprofit management, growth, project design and implementation, and more.
How do I Contact Visions?
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!