We use social media, new tech & pop culture/arts to raise awareness, funds & volunteer power for the cause to end Violence Against Women.
The Pixel Project is a global, virtual volunteer-led nonprofit organisation taking fund-and-awareness raising for the cause to end violence against women (VAW) into the 21st Century by delivering innovative, powerful viral campaigns across various online channels including social media.
We are a worldwide coalition of grassroots activists and volunteers using the power of the internet to mount a global effort to raise awareness about and hopefully mobilise millions to get involved with ending violence against girls and women. We strongly believe that men and women must take a stand together for the right of women to live a life free of gender-based violence.
Our team is currently scattered across 4 continents, 12 timezones and over 10 cities worldwide, proving that there are no cultural or social barriers when it comes to this issue.
Our first project is to turbo-charge global awareness about VAW using social media while raising US$1 million for the U.S.A.’s National Coalition Against Domestic Violence and The Pixel Project and various anti-VAW nonprofits worldwide by getting a global audience to collectively unveil a million-pixel mystery collage of Celebrity Male Role Models at US$1 per pixel.
The project will invite 4 world-famous male celebrities with strong family connections, no history of violence, and are role models for men in relationships with women and children, to participate in this collage of portraits.
We have appointed award-winning international photographer Jillian Edelstein as the project’s principal portrait photographer. Jillian’s work includes the iconic Nelson Mandela portrait for the cover of the New York Times magazine.
The philosophy behind choosing positive male role models from different walks of life is to emphasise that men have a major role to play in breaking the cycle of violence against women.
To date, our distinguished mystery Celebrity Male Role Model line-up include a prominent Nobel Prize Winner, a Pulitzer Prize winner and a rock star Environmentalist.
The Pixel Reveal campaign is scheduled to launch in 2014.
We also run a number of innovative ongoing online awareness-raising programmes including:
- Our Twitter Tag Team – Bringing the global audience worldwide relevant news and helpline information on VAW almost round the clock.
- Our Facebook page – Providing up-to-date news, ideas to stop VAW and a discussion forum for fans to talk about VAW.
- Our Music For Pixels campaign – Working with YouTube artistes and fans to raise awareness and funds for the VAW cause. Programmes under this campaign include “Artiste of the Month”, the “YouTube Cover Carnival” and the “16 For 16″ digital EP.
- Our Paint It Purple campaign – Getting the global audience to “paint” the internet purple with badges and photos while raising funds via special cupcake bake sales.
- Our 16 For 16 campaign – An annual marathon blogging campaign featuring 16 articles revolving around lists of 16 VAW-related ideas/people/actions in honour of the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence.
- Our 30 For 30 campaign – Our annual Father’s Day blogging campaign featuring 30 interviews with 30 dads from around the world.
- Our “Wall of Support” programme – A growing chorus of people from around the world and all walks of life speaking up to end VAW in person, on video.
Through these campaigns, we continue to gather momentum and build a growing supporter base who believes that same that we do:
"It's time to stop violence against women. Together."
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!