The Land Stewardship Project is changing our food and farming system from the ground up.
The Land Stewardship Project is dedicated to creating transformational change in our food and farming system. LSP’s work has a broad and deep impact, from new farmer training and local organizing, to federal policy and community based food system development. At the core of all of our work are the values of stewardship, justice and democracy.
The mission of the Land Stewardship Project is to foster an ethic of stewardship for farmland, to promote sustainable agriculture and to develop sustainable communities.
The Land Stewardship Project’s power comes from our members. LSP members are farmers, rural and urban people who are working together to build a food and farming system that cares for people and the land.
Join us as a member today to create change from the ground up.
Here’s what you should know about the Land Stewardship Project:
• We are committed to an ethic of stewardship for the land. That is our mission. The Land Stewardship Project is a grassroots organization with a 30-year history of advancing environmental stewardship and social and economic justice in the Upper Midwest.
• We are committed to independent family farms as the best way to achieve land stewardship and vital rural communities.
• We are committed to getting more successful farmers raising both livestock and crops on the land. For example, the Land Stewardship Project’s Farm Beginnings® Program provides training in low-cost, environmentally-sound farming practices, business planning, land management and marketing. In recent years, Farm Beginnings has expanded to several states, including Illinois, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, New York and Nebraska.
• We are committed to developing regional and community-based food systems that gain market access for farmers and provide all people better access to nutritious food. This work takes many forms, including education, accurate food labeling and directories of farmers who market directly.
• We are committed to public policy that is economically and socially just, and leads to better land stewardship. The Land Stewardship Project is a leader nationally in the campaign for federal farm policy that is strong on environmental stewardship, supports beginning farmers and farmers growing for local communities and regional markets, and stops subsidizing industrial mega-farms.
• We are committed to democratic participation and the power of the people to govern. Simply put, we believe in people.
By supporting the Land Stewardship Project as a member, you are advancing stewardship and justice in our food and farming system and are helping create lasting, positive change from the ground up.
Stay connected to the Land Stewardship Project- find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @LSPnow. You can also sign up for our monthly email newsletter to stay up to date on the food and farming issues you care about.
Join the Conversation
821 E 35th Street, Suite 200
Minneapolis, MN 55407