Advokids is a non-profit organization dedicated to defending the rights and meeting the needs of children who are in the California foster care system due to abuse or neglect at home.
Did You Know?
• There are more than 60,000 children in foster care in California, more than 1/5 of all foster children in the United States.
• 1/3 of foster children are under the age of 5.
• The majority of children spend 2+ years in foster care and experience multiple placements.
• Temporary placements and loss of relationships directly affect a foster child’s long-term emotional, cognitive and developmental health.
• Foster children who never find a permanent home face lifelong challenges, and they have overtaken war veterans as the largest population in California’s homeless shelters.
What We Do
Children enter foster care through no fault of their own –
and they must not pay a lifelong price for our system’s failures.
● Keep children in the California foster care system safer. Safety
● Protect their emotional and developmental health.
● Promote timely permanency and adoption for children who cannot return home.
● Hold the system accountable to the best interests of the child.
● Increase public awareness about the needs of children in foster care.
Why We Do It
Foster children will be safer, will experience more stable, permanent placements, and will have a greater chance of success if all of the adults and agencies responsible for their care are held accountable to them and the people of California.
How We Do It
Telephone Hotline: (1.877.Adv4Kid)
Advokids maintains the only free telephone hotline in California providing immediate legal information for foster child advocates.
Website: www.advokids.org Learn more and get access to:
● Legal information and instruction
● Juvenile Court forms to assist with bringing information about a child to the attention of the court
● Legal resources, psychological research and resources, laws and regulations to improve standards of practice in juvenile courts
● Reporting and accountability protocols to improve the intra-agency and intra-judicial flow of information
Advokids provides California State Bar approved legal trainings for attorneys as well as trainings on the
law for CASA volunteers, FFAs, social workers, foster and adoptive parents, foster youth and mental
health providers. Our trainings emphasize the “permanency imperative,” and teach advocates how to
access the court and advocate for children in foster care.
● Improving standards of practice in Juvenile Court
● Improving access to the Juvenile Court for foster child advocates
● Providing foster child advocates with the science and the law to encourage persistent focus on the
psychological and emotional needs of children
Please call us today to schedule a training in your area.
Why You Should Help
A lack of attention to infants and young children in foster care placement has long-term implications for those children and our society.
Children who grow up in foster care are more likely than other children to:
● Leave school
● Become parents as teenagers
● Enter the juvenile justice system
● Become adults who are homeless, incarcerated, and addicted to drugs
How You Can Help:
Make a Donation to Advokids today
Your donation will support our advocacy
efforts and help a foster child in need.
Advokids is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit corporation
and your donations are 100% tax deductible.
Please tell your friends about Advokids http://www.advokids.org/
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!