The Week of Champions, Inc. is a non-profit ministry. 2012 is its 34th year of existence.
The seeds for the success of the Week of Champions began 33 years ago. Three Gator football coaches decided to bring professional athletes to Hilton Head Island to be positive role models for the island youth. These coaches asked other concerned businessmen and women in the community to help. They asked Greg Brezina, a professional athlete to recruit other pro athletes to conduct an admission free sports clinic. The Week of Champions committee provided the players and their families with meals and housing with no honorarium. In June of 1978, the Week of Champions became a reality.
The first camp consisted of 3 pro athletes and approximately 50 youth. In 2008 the program had 64 athletes and over 2700 youth attending 7 different sports camps.
These camps were held in four different communities across Beaufort and Jasper Counties.
A sports banquet was added several years later. The banquet is for parents and youth and friends. The banquet is attended by over 800 people. Tickets are sold at cost in order for it to be affordable for the entire family.
Our Program objectives:
1. To present positive professional athletes as role models to our youth.
2. To present the importance of saying No to drugs.
3. Teach the importance of staying in school and getting a good education.
4. Teach the basic fundamentals of 7 different sporting events. Baseball, Football, Tennis, Golf, Soccer, Cheerleading and Basketball.
5. Teach how to live life at its best by staying healthy: physically, psychologically and spiritually. As the athletes share with the campers the fundamentals of the sports, they also teach the campers about Christian character. The athletes share with the campers how essential it is to say “no” to drugs and “yes” to Christ, and to live a wholesome, productive life. Our goal is to reach as many youth as possible for Christ through the positive Christian influence of these pro-athletes.