Visions Global Empowerment supports educational initiatives for youth affected by poverty and conflict in South Asia.
What is Visions?
Visions is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that aims to educate and empower youth affected by poverty and conflict. We work with students, teachers, and NGOs to enable them to become self-sufficient and capable of participating as leaders in today’s society. Visions is driven, managed, and supported by youth and young professionals in the U.S. for the benefit of disadvantaged youth in South Asia. Based in Los Angeles, CA, volunteers frequently travel to Sri Lanka and India on behalf of the organizations to work with youth and implement projects, and to empower local nonprofit organizations.
Where does Visions Work?
Since its inception, Visions has undertaken efforts in Sri Lanka, Kenya and India. In order to leverage the most meaningful impact Visions is currently focusing its programs in Sri Lanka and Southern India.
What does Visions Do?
We strive to be flexible and dynamic in our approach, yet focused in our efforts to maximize our impact and leverage our resources. Our four main program areas include:
1. Leadership Programs – Since 2003, Visions has directly trained over 1,200 youth through the annual Visions leadership program, facilitated by over 100 international and local volunteers. Through Visions trainings, youth are trained to establish Student Leadership Committees in communities and schools.
2. Scholarships – Visions’ local partners help identify students in need of scholarships. Support is provided in a number of ways (School tuition, Vocational fees, room and board for residential students, transportation fees).
3. Teacher Training – Teachers’ professional development and training is a tremendous need, particularly in contexts of poverty and conflict. Visions coordinates and organizes teacher training programs by connecting experts in a particular subject to a group of teachers in needs of additional support. Some of the types of training include psycho-social support, English, IT, Leadership & Life Skills training.
4. Volunteer Programs – Visions offers domestic and international volunteer opportunities and internships.
5. Kalagam Visions Learning Center – In 2010, Visions constructed a four-story Learning Center at the Saiva Mangaiyar Kalagam Girls school in Colombo , Sri Lanka, benefitting over 2,200 girls, including several hundred Internally displaced children and orphans from North East Sri Lanka. In the long-term, this center will also serve teachers from other parts of Sri Lanka, as well as local youth and community members.
How do I Contact Visions?