We're building a movement to end corruption so America's leaders will Represent Us!
United Republic Education Fund (UREF) is a national, nonpartisan, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization challenging the undue influence of well-financed special interests over American politics through long-term structural reforms. We support public education, research, and online and traditional grassroots organizing to build unprecedented grassroots political pressure for sweeping reform. In 2012, UREF launched the Represent.Us campaign to fight money in politics corruption.
UREF’s office is located in Florence, Massachusetts and all staff live and work here is the Valley. We have many locally based volunteers and interns who donate their time to support the Represent.Us campaign.
It was important to our staff and volunteers to participate in Valley Gives. We would like to build local support and recognition in our community. We are asking only our local members to give through the Valley Gives campaign.
UREF is committed to improving life in the Pioneer Valley and beyond. Vally Gives is an opportunity to raise our profile in the region while developing relationships with locals who believe in our mission.
The Represent.Us Campaign
The undue influence of moneyed interests in politics has escalated into a major crisis that blocks progress on nearly every issue—from the economy and healthcare to social justice and the environment. After decades of failed efforts to address the problem, it has become clear that forging a path to victory required a rethink of reform strategies.
This realization motivated a group of advocacy experts and attorneys to join forces to create Represent.Us, an innovative political strategy build on a fresh set of strategic assumptions:
These assumptions constitute the foundation of the Represent.Us campaign, and reflect a departure from status quo reform efforts that have failed to advance reform for the past three decades. In response to these assumptions, Represent.Us crafted the American Anti-Corruption Act, comprehensive legislation that would overhaul campaign finance, lobbying, conflict of interest and disclosure laws. The Act goes well beyond the narrow range of the current debate in Washington, yet is viewed as a common sense proposal by a vast majority of Americans, liberal and conservative.
The Plan to Uncorrupt American Politics
We have a five-step plan to neutralize money in politics corruption, built on the strategic assumptions outlined above.
1. Write a bold new law to end corruption that empowers voters. Call it “The American Anti-Corruption Act,” a comprehensive, unassailable proposal. (COMPLETED)
2. Get a million people behind it, creating a grassroots army made up of conservatives, liberals, and everyone else tired of business as usual. (IN PROGRESS)
3. Ask Congress: Are you “Corrupt” or “Anti-Corrupt?” Get every politician on the record as for or against the Act. Call them out publicly. (IN BETA-PROGRESS)
4. Our 501(c)(4) partner and ally organizations will leverage grassroots support—and c4 funding—to unseat politicians who will not support reform.
5. Introduce the Act to Congress for passage, with no changes or loopholes. Don't ask them: On million supporters will tell them.
To learn more about this campaign and the ways you can get invovled please visit our website at www.represent.us.