Songwriting Works™ restores health and community through song. Help us match a $10,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Arts!
Songwriting Works™ brings professional songwriters and communities together to write songs that turn isolation into connection, depression into happiness and illness into health.
YOUR tax-deductible GIFT of $35, $75, $125, $300 or more will allow SW to expand our songwriting workshops, events and trainings programs, and match an NEA Challenge America grant to record a new CD with notable professional musicians with a CD release celebration at SW’s 3rd annual community SongFest in November 2013.
Between Dec 26, 2012 and Jan 15, 2013 your donation will be MATCHED TWICE - by the NEA Challenge grant and an anonymous donor.
Songwriting Works brings the power of music to those who need it most:
• Elders in residential care settings
• Loved ones of people living with Alzheimer's disease, related dementias and chronic illness
• Isolated, low-income rural and urban older adults
• Teens and young adults at-risk
• Musicians seeking employment while being of service
Together, we embark on songwriting projects, collectively composing memorable songs that sound like the people who wrote them – because each person's words, melodies and gestures are retained in whatever forms of music – folk, pop, jazz, country, blues, rock, gospel and more – they choose. (Think of it as "song quilting" or "musical mural painting.)
Once complete, we share our songs, stories and award-winning approach with:
• Audiences looking for hopeful songs, stories and insights
• Family care partners in need of respite, encouragement and new ways to spend time with loved ones who have Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia
• Agencies seeking road-tested programs and innovations
• Health providers and teaching artists seeking new skills
• Communities looking for creative intergenerational solutions
• Researchers studying music's role in brain health
• Advocates who want the voices, needs and creativity of the people we serve to be heard, seen, honored and included, contributing to a healthier society
THANK YOU FOR JOINING US in our MISSION:
to RESTORE Health and Community through SONG.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SHARING NEWS of how YOUR DONATION IS CHANGING LIVES one song, neighborhood and community at a time!
“Those who didn’t know they could, collaborate with energy they didn't know they had.” —Marcia Perlstein M.S.W. L.M.F.T
“We sang and played as a way of learning. And that’s my way of learning. …. I could not ever go so far as to dare sing. I sing quite often now! ...when I walk the dogs ...sharing songs with the boys…I don’t think I would have done that before. - Maureen Piper, MusicTeam member, age 71
“I am convinced that Songwriting Works has helped stave off depression in individuals who are at very high risk. I have heard staff comment how watching and listening to our residents be creative has increased their respect for and empathy for the resident. They have often been surprised by the engagement of persons who are otherwise withdrawn.” – Jay S. Luxenberg, M.D., Director of Medicine, OnLok, speaking of his experience while Medical Director at the Jewish Home San Francisco
Learn more on our website http://www.songwritingworks.org
Hear the Songs and Subscribe to Songwriting Works' YOU TUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/songwritingworks