SOHO’s mission is to empower disadvantaged girls with social, emotional, academic & creative enrichment through creative mentorship.
Did you know that girls who are mentored are 60% more likely to graduate from high school and are 46% less likely than their peers to start using illegal drugs?
What’s Space of Her Own (SOHO)?
Every day young girls are faced with critical decisions that can have life-long consequences. One too many feel helpless without adequate support systems. Space Of Her Own, Inc. (SOHO), a local Alexandria nonprofit, helps to transform disadvantaged preteen girls by pairing them with professional women for a yearlong structured mentoring program. Using art as the catalyst, SOHO is designed to teach girls to value creativity, live healthy lives, communicate openly, and give back to others. In the end SOHO not only provides girls with a personalized creative study space but also empowers them with the confidence to succeed as a lifelong member of the SOHO sisterhood.
We Need Your Support
To date, 148 girls have graduated from our program - that's 148 room renovations and an immeasurable impact made on the lives of 148 deserving girls. With your help we can do even more! We hope to help serve 24 new girls next school year in Alexandria. Budgets are tight and SOHO needs funding to help expand and grow. With your help we can open new locations and help to enhance the existing ones. Help us to continue to foster long term relationships through SOHO sisterhood alumni activities. SOHO operates on a shoestring budget of just $10,000/year and is directed by volunteer social workers and teachers. We can't do it without supporters like you.
- To reach disadvantaged girls in communities nationwide and prevent juvenile criminal involvement
- To have a lasting impact by fostering one-to-one mentor and peer group relationships beyond the one year program
- To engage all participating youth through art instruction and empower them to see the visual arts as an endeavor at which all can succeed and which can serve as an outlet for self-expression and creativity
- To develop life skills in the areas of healthy eating, social skills, anger management, conflict resolution, etiquette and community service
- To provide every participant with a personalized space of her own that encourages creativity, conveys a sense of value and worth, and gives a lasting reminder of her circle of support and care.
Will you help our SOHO butterflies soar?
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!