Sky Tavern is a non-profit regional center providing exceptional outdoor sports training, competitions, recreation, and events for everyone!
Who we are:
- We offer outdoor recreation to families and kids.
- We teach outdoor sports, such as skiing and mountain biking, from first-timers to champions.
- We create opportunities to train and compete in summer and winter outdoor sports.
- We promote and rely on volunteerism and community engagement.
- We include everyone regardless of income or special needs.
- We protect the Sky Tavern area and experience for future generations.
What we want to achieve in the next five years:
- We shall provide outstanding year-round regional outdoor recreation, training, competition and events.
- We shall grow our alpine racing, freestyle, adaptive, and Junior ski and snowboard programs.
- We shall deliver reliably (i.e., regardless of weather) our flagship ski and snowboard program
- We shall offer education for coaches, instructors, officials and other support personnel.
- We shall develop a mountain bike park and programs that mirror the current ski programs.
- We shall increase use of the facilities and grounds for special events, camps, and other uses.
- We shall expand opportunities and access to everyone regardless of income or special needs.
- We shall cultivate key partnerships.
- We shall enlarge and diversify our revenue sources.
- We shall build and improve physical infrastructure (e.g., snowmaking, biking trails and lodge).
- We shall add staffing to enable expansion of programs.
Since 1948 more than 100,000 kids have been taught to ski and snowboard by parents and volunteers through the Sky Tavern Junior Ski Program. Formerly part of the City of Reno, Sky Tavern is now an independent 501(c) 3 non-profit located on the Mt.Rose Highway, 30 minutes from Reno. Every winter the volunteer-based Junior Ski Program provides an outstanding experience for the participants and community.
Sky Tavern’s flagship program is teaching kids to ski and snowboard, but Sky Tavern aspires to grow into a year-round, regional center for outdoor recreation that provides instruction and opportunities in other sports such as mountain biking, and offering summer camps and concerts. The City of Reno has given Sky Tavern a long-term lease and tasked us to increase recreation uses and improve the facilities. We are planning for new snowmaking, to allow us to open earlier, mountain biking trails for training and competition, and, ultimately, a new lodge. We continue to have the same ideals that have kept the winter programs thriving for over 65 years, but now everyone has a chance to play and compete in the outdoors no matter the date, the age or the personal challenge. Please be involved and make a difference in our community.
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!