SEO Scholars Program

A project of SPONSORS FOR EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY INC

project
Size_550x415_024-seo-summer%20academy-072511-ie3v8480
Size_550x415_080-seo-summer%20academy-072511-ie3v8666
Size_550x415_152-seo-summer%20academy-072511-img_4699
Size_550x415_104-seo-summer%20academy-072511-img_4530
Size_550x415_014-seo-students-091507-0140
Size_550x415_142-seo-summer%20academy-072511-img_4668
Size_550x415_150-seo-scholars-012608-ie3v6843
Size_550x415_college%20knowledge%20day%2010
Size_550x415_seo%20scholars%20at%20saturday%20academy%20fall%202007%20042

The SEO Scholars Program is a year-round, out-of-school, academically rigorous program that prepares motivated urban public high school students to earn admission and succeed at competitive colleges and universities. The Scholars Program has served students in New York City since 1963 and also launched in San Francisco in 2011.

Numerous studies confirm that rigorous academics are the single most important factor for low-income and minority students in gaining college admission and earning a degree. However, U.S. Department of Education research shows that “A” work in low-income schools equals “C” work in affluent schools. The Scholars Program adds the equivalent of 60 school days to the public school calendar for its students each year. Scholars dedicate 80% of their time at SEO to academics, with the remaining 20% spent on enrichment and leadership activities.

While attending college, Scholars continue to receive mentoring and tailored workshops focused on managing coursework, earning top grades, financial and budgeting strategies, and effective planning for careers.

All of the 69 high school seniors in the Class of 2011 were accepted to four-year colleges. Seventy-three percent were accepted to colleges in the top two tiers of competitiveness in Barron's Profiles of American Colleges. These schools include Dartmouth College, Cornell University, Mount Holyoke College, University of Michigan, Wheaton College and Skidmore College.

The Class of 2011 Scholars earned more than $1.7 million in scholarships and awards for their first year of college. Two SEO Scholars were winners of the New York Times Scholarship. Six Scholars were awarded full-four-year tuition scholarships through the Posse Foundation. One Scholar received the Ron Brown Scholarship, which awards students $10,000 per year for four years. One Scholar was a Questbridge College Match Scholarship winner.




Join the Conversation

Youtube Vimeo
 Post to Facebook
loading...

Organization Information

SPONSORS FOR EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY INC
55 EXCHANGE PLACE
NEW YORK, NY 10005

Phone
646-435-9597

Web
http://www.seo-usa.org

Email
kcruz@seo-usa.org

Mission
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity (SEO) Scholars program prepares low-income public high school students to get to and through college.

EIN 132578670

Reports Guidestar

$94,165 raised
22 DONORS

Donation Levels

Fundraise
for this Cause

Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!

Get Started

Also Fundraising for this Cause

See all 2 fundraisers >

1 share = $18+ in donations
(on average)