Size_75x75_sbc

SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH

nonprofit
Size_550x415_sbc

Promote the Kingdom of God as revealed in the Holy Bible through public worship, religious education, evangelism, fellowship, and more.

Over 100 years ago, members of First Baptist church in Lincoln living in the eastern part of the city organized a mission Sunday school over a store near 27th and Vine Streets. The members needed a church home more conveniently located than First Baptist. On January 31, 1890, this church was organized as East Lincoln Baptist Church, with a membership of 82 led by Rev. Lee W. Terry. A site was selected on the southwest corner of 26th and Vine Street, and the building was dedicated June 29, 1890. A parsonage was also built next door to the church.

In September of 1900 the original building was remodeled and placed on a foundation with basement rooms and increased seating capacity, allowing membership to grow extensively by 1904. Construction began on a new church building in March of 1907 at the corner of 28th and S Streets - walking distance for most church members. New funding was primarily accomplished through donations and fundraising, and the church was ready for the first service on Christmas Day, 1908, which included a Sunday School Christmas Cantata. In 1913 a pipe organ was installed, and in 1914 a celebration was held in honor of the retirement of the church debt.

In October 1921, the church members voted to change its name to Second Baptist Church. Our church celebrated its 50 year anniversary in 1940, and soon resumed Sunday evening service, with attendance at Wednesday evening service increasing as well. In 1949, the pastor’s study was established at the front of the chapel, and many other areas were refurnished, remodeled, and redecorated from 1951 into 1953, including the sanctuary and chapel.

On January 23, 1957, after 50 years at its present site, members voted to purchase a new four-acre site at 58th Street for the church, as membership had now grown to 602. A ground-breaking ceremony was held on May 21, 1961, and the first service was held on Easter Sunday in 1962. The old church property was sold to the Bethel Baptist church, and a new parsonage was purchased at 710 N. 58th Street.

The educational wing of the church was dedicated in September 1964 and included a crib room, three preschool rooms, a large lounge, a kindergarten room, two large youth rooms, and three elementary rooms. A Sunday school class for exceptional children was established and is still being carried on with people of all ages attending the classes.

Today, Second Baptist Church is still thriving at this location on 525 N. 58th Street. Weekly services include Sunday Worship and Sunday School classes for all ages, Sunday Night Middle High and High School Youth Activities, Wednesday Night Bible Studies as well as Faith Weavers for elementary aged children, Senior Adult Ministries, American Baptist Women's and Men's Ministries, Family Ministries, and many times of sharing and fellowship.


Join the Conversation

Youtube Vimeo
 Post to Facebook
loading...

Organization Information

SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH
525 N 58TH ST
LINCOLN, NE 68505

Phone
(402)464-8398

Web
http://www.secondbaptistlincoln.com/

Email
sblincoln@windstream.net

Mission
Promote the Kingdom of God as revealed in the Holy Bible through public worship, religious education, evangelism, fellowship, and more.

EIN 470396788

Reports Guidestar

4 DONORS

Fundraise
for this Cause

Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!

Get Started

1 share = $18+ in donations
(on average)