Ranee Ramaswamy and Aparna Ramaswamy’s evocative dance landscapes explore the dynamic tension between the ancestral and the contemporary.
ABOUT OUR WORK…
Founded in 1992, Ragamala creates work that conveys a sense of reverence, of unfolding mystery, of universal celebration. Artistic Directors Ranee Ramaswamy and Aparna Ramaswamy draw from the myth and spirituality of their South Indian heritage to make contemporary dance landscapes that dwell in opposition—secular and spiritual life, inner and outer worlds, human and natural concerns, rhythm and stillness—to find the transcendence that lies in between. The company's rigorous training in the classical form of Bharatanatyam is the bedrock of a creative aesthetic that prioritizes truthful emotion above all else. Nationally recognized as one of Minnesota’s top companies, Ranee and Aparna’s choreography traverses the scope of human experience, from the intimate to the infinite.
“Ragamala, led by the mother-daughter team of Ranee and Aparna Ramaswamy, is probably the most decorated dance company in Minneapolis”
FROM THE PRESS…
(Ragamala) shows how Indian forms can provide some of the most transcendent experiences that dance has to offer.
—The New York Times
A trip for the soul…a singular and transformative work.
—Minneapolis Star Tribune
FROM OUR AUDIENCES…
I remain in awe of your open hearts and minds to explore and create.
Engaged my entire being! When it was over I said, “No, No…” What impact – I’m speechless and exhausted. One of the best experiences!
IN THE LAST 12 MONTHS…
* Ranee Ramaswamy appointed by President Barack Obama and confirmed by the U.S. Senate to a seat on the National Council on the Arts
* Ragamala’s Song of the Jasmine commissioned by theWalker Art Center (Mpls), Lincoln Center (NYC),Krannert Center (University of Illinois), and Clarice Smith Center (University of Maryland)
* Aparna Ramaswamy’s U.S. tour of Sannidhi/Sacred Space supported by the National Dance Project
* Ranee Ramaswamyawarded a 2012 United States Artists Fellowship
* Song of the Jasmine – World Premiere: Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, May 15–18, 2014
Conceived and choreographed by Aparna Ramaswamy and Ranee Ramaswamy and created in collaboration with renowned jazz saxophonist Rudresh Mahanthappa
* Ragamala on Tour
November 19, 2013 – Sacred Earth, Rochester Community and Technical College, Rochester, MN
January 3, 2014 – Solo performance by Aparna Ramaswamy, Brahma Gana Sabha, Chennai, India
March 6 & 7, 2014 – Sacred Earth, Hancher Auditorium, Iowa City, IA
March 29 & 30, 2014 – Sannidhi/Sacred Space, Atlas Performing Arts Center, Washington, D.C.
For additional dates, please see www.ragamaladance.org/calendar
* Ragamala Dance – A pioneer in creative community outreach
Ragamala is nationally recognized for looking beyond the traditional K-12 school residency to bring our work to unexpected places and reach new audiences. Find out how to bring Ragamala to your local school, university, museum, library, senior center, hospital, place of worship, or workplace!
* Return of the Rain Seed – A production of the Ragamala School – June 29th, 2014
Ragamala is proud to present the students of the Ragamala School in their first full-scale production! Please join us as we celebrate Ragamala’s commitment to passing on the company’s high artistic standards, rigorous work ethic, and broad vision of the classical form to the next generation.