The Race for Human Rights is a fundraiser for the Vermont Workers' Center and Migrant Justice-- two awesome human rights organizations!
This is important to me! And, to you, too!
The Vermont Workers' Center and Migrant Justice are LEGIT organizations! They get stuff done! I'm proud to be working with them!
You see- we've been successful in some pretty amazing ways in Vermont - and b/c we've made it happen here - there's a much greater chance that similar victories can happen for YOU! across the country. The positive effects are for all! :)
Some things we've done:
•We became the first state in the country to legislate a universal single-payer healthcare system that is based on human rights principles and is a public good;
• We stopped the deportation of two migrant workers, and organized a farmworker-driven campaign to produce a nationally recognized policy directing VT State Police to abstain from immigration enforcement;
• We convinced our legislators to define the purpose of the state budget in terms of human rights principles--requiring that "[s]pending and revenue policies ... recognize every person's need for health, housing, dignified work, education, food, social security, and a healthy environment.";
• We won a racial discrimination hearing with the Vermont Human Rights Commission setting a state precedent for police to not profile based on suspected immigration status;
• We organized with mobile home park residents who lost their homes during Tropical Storm Irene to start Mobile Home Park Residents for Equality and Fairness-- they got their homes removed at no cost and set up a recovery fund for the residents;
• We defeated a legislative amendment to exclude migrant farmworkers from Vermont’s universal healthcare legislation;
• We won over $6000 in migrant worker back wages and workman’s compensation cases through our Immigrant Workers' Rights Hotline, Teleayuda.
• The list goes on and on!!
So please, DON'T be shy! Donate! You'll seriously feel great about yourself! :)
And I'll be happy, too!