Statewide leadership on adolescent sexual health, pregnancy prevention and parenting through education, advocacy, and capacity-building.
In this economy, more than ever, when our youth may feel least empowered to create a bright future, sexual risk-taking creates devastating individual and societal consequences. The statistics here in Michigan are discouraging:
• Every 27 minutes, a Michigan teen age 15-19 becomes pregnant.
• The gonorrhea rate for young people ages 15-19 in Michigan is more than 50% higher than the U.S. rate.
• The proportion of new diagnoses of HIV among youth ages 13-24 is increasing.
One bright spot in all of this is the birth of a new organization: the Michigan Organization on Adolescent Sexual Health (MOASH).
Support MOASH as we work together to provide:
• Continued support for the vision of empowering and informing a new generation of educators and advocates, through the work of MY Voice, the statewide youth advisory council: Michigan Youth Voice for Sexual Health (pictured above). MY Voice is comprised of 15 diverse and energetic youth from around the state who meet to learn more about adolescent sexual health statistics, resources and programs and to give input on sexual health progams and policies that affect youth statewide.
• Accurate and current educational materials for key stakeholders including parents, faith leaders, business people, and policy makers.
• Professional development and training for local agencies and coalitions to ensure their programs are effective and science-based.
Your donation is tax-deductible.