Kid Power inspires youth leadership by promoting academic advancement, physical and emotional wellness, and positive civic engagement.
We are making education "cool" again! Kid Power students are drawn from low performing, under-served public and charter schools in the District of Columbia. Many of these students lack opportunities to master academic skills and participate in enrichment activities. That’s where we come in! Kid Power seeks to address these needs through our core programs.
• Academic Power-Hour- Maintaining a 1:8 staff to student ratio, staff and volunteers provide differentiated instruction to help students’ individualized academic needs. In addition to homework help, students participate in a variety of unique and engaging lessons designed to align with the Common Core Standards.
• The Citizenship Project - Students complete a literacy-building curriculum to explore the foundation of democracy and citizenship. They connect these lessons to hands-on service learning and advocacy projects to improve their communities.
• The VeggieTime! Project - Students study nutrition and the environment, operate citywide gardens, participate in cooking and science classes, sell produce at markets, and use the profits to support nutritional service projects.
• The CookieTime! Project - Students operate a baking business in partnership with CakeLove Bakery and use the profits to donate to charities and fund service trips.We believe that by offering our students a comprehensive academic and civics program, we are providing a powerful venue for youth leadership.
• The Summer Leadership Academy: Select youth attend Kid Power's 6 -week program designed to minimize summer learning loss and expose youth to advanced academic concepts through a innovative hands-on curriculum. Students also explore the District and participate in a variety of recreational activities.
The Catalogue of Philanthropy selected Kid Power as one of the best small nonprofit charities in Greater DC for 2011/2012 because we are so much more than an after-school program. Our students gain an understanding of the current political, health, and economic structures that influence their neighborhoods and surrounding communities so that they can become strong and creative learners and agents of positive social change.
Currently, Kid Power provides innovative afterschool and summer programs to approximately 350 youth aged 7-18 at 11 program locations. Kid Power prides itself on its commitment to robust evaluation systems, innovative and differentiated instruction, dynamic community partnerships, and supportive family engagement practices.