Mark your calendars and donate to Alabama Waldorf School on December 3rd! #GivingTuesday™ is a campaign to create a National day of Giving.
The Waldorf curriculum, which challenges the child at each developmental stage, and sets the stage for life success through academics and the arts, has been around for more than 90 years, and Birmingham has been lucky enough to have the state's only Waldorf preschool since 1987 and Elementary School since 2000.
The mission of Alabama Waldorf School is to cultivate healthy, confident, compassionate learners who excel academically, socially, and civically.
Current milestones include:
◦ Expansion of our preschool program to include 2 year olds.
◦ Enrollment of 138 students, ages 2 through Grade 8.
◦ AWS alumni (Classes of 2008, 2009) are now attending the following colleges and universities: Sewanee, North Carolina School for the Arts, Utah State, Rochester Institute of Technology, Auburn University, Appalachian State University, University of Montevallo, and UAB. Areas of study include Aeronautical Engineering, Architecture, and Speech Pathology.
◦ In May of 2014 we will graduate our sixth class of 8th grade students, each of whom joins the ranks of other successful alum earning honors at Birmingham-area schools including ASFA, JCIB, Altamont, Indian Springs School, Shades Valley Theater Academy, Visual Arts Academy, and Finance Academy, and Homewood High.
◦ Over 162 years of Waldorf teaching experience among our faculty with 5 carrying a full Waldorf teaching certification and 3 more taking courses toward certification.
So, what's different about a Waldorf graduate? After completing the Elementary and Middle School, our students walk away with...
◦ An appreciation and knowledge of countless cultures and countries and the ability to comprehend and speak both Russian and Spanish.
◦Knowledge of 5,000 years of history, about which they will have written and illustrated their own history books.
◦An authentic, hands-on experience of Alabama’s awesome river systems, urban and rural farms, museums, mountains, and beaches.
◦Socks and stuffed animals they have knitted and pajamas they have sewn in Handwork class.
◦The ability to speak with respect to all whom they meet, dispel conflict, and engage in intelligent conversation with their peers, as well as their elders.
And who leads them on their journey? Teachers invest their time, talents, and enthusiasm, filling the classrooms with beautiful chalkboard art and lively lessons. Teachers model a strong work ethic and a sense of joyful purpose for the work they do, and the work they expect of their students.
Our goal for #Giving Tuesday is to kickstart a Capital Campaign Fund and spread the word that Alabama’s only Waldorf school is looking to build a home of its own. Currently we rent space in a former Birmingham City School building that will be razed in 2016. We are interested in purchasing a building which provide enough space for all of our programs:
* 14 classrooms for Grades, Preschool, Morning Garden, Extended Care, and Therapeutic programs
* 3 playgrounds
* Farmscape for community garden that would double as a curriculum tool
* 2 Office spaces
* 1 Faculty Workspace for 3 computer desktops and a large copier
* 4 multi-stall Restrooms
* 1 Community Kitchen
* 1 Auditorium with wooden stage
* 2 janitor closets with mop sinks
* 1 storage room
* Adequate parking space (50 minimum)
The site we are currently negotiating to purchase is right around the corner from us! It has four beautifully wooded acres and two brick buildings, both of which need new "insides." It is less than a mile away at 5901 Crestwood Blvd (Hwy 78).
The goal of #Giving Tuesday for AWS is to kickstart the campaign by getting 100% involvement from our community of family and friends. Truly the individual donation amount is not as important as participating! Site Chair and Board Member, Rob Spiegel, has already pledged a $2,500 donation and promised to match your donation dollar-for-dollar up to an additional $2,500. That means your $25 is now $50, and your $250 donation is now $500! The more we can spread the word about the school’s site needs, the greater chance our vision has of coming to fruition.
Thank you for considering a donation to our cause. We appreciate any amount you can give.
Join the Conversation
1220 50TH ST S
BIRMINGHAM, AL 35222
Alabama Waldorf School offers its students a path to life success through academics and the arts. Find out more at a Tuesday Tour (9-10am).
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!