Railroad Park is a 19 acre green space in downtown Birmingham that celebrates the industrial and artistic heritage of our great city.
With 19 acres of green space in the middle of downtown Birmingham, including nine acres of open lawn, Railroad Park is the ideal place to have a little lunch, throw a little Frisbee, take a little jog.
Over 600 trees are planted onsite: a mixture of hardwoods, evergreens, and flowering trees. There are 50 Princeton elms, alone. The luxurious landscaping is punctuated with masses of annual, biennial and perennial flowers, making this oasis not only lovely, but a cool escape in the center of a bustling urban environment.
Many of the walls and seating areas are constructed from bricks and objects unearthed on the site when Railroad Park construction began. Re-used and recycled objects including hand cast bricks and original cobblestone can be found throughout the park.
Railroad Park is 30% water, with a beautiful lake, a stunning rain curtain, a bio-filtration wetlands area and ponds & streams everywhere. These many water features are irrigated by onsite wells.
In addition to the paths that wind throughout Railroad Park, the Rail Trail extends the length of the park, perfect for runners and walkers. At its highest point it affords breathtaking city views.
Railroad Park is open 7am-11pm daily. Railroad Park is monitored around the clock by a state-of-the-art security system and by rangers on patrol.
- The 17th Street Plaza is large and partially covered and houses the ranger station, the Railroad Park office, restrooms and the Railroad Park Dining Car.
- Free WiFi is available throughout Railroad Park.
- Two age-appropriate play areas filled with modern playground equipment and a climbing dome invite toddlers and children to play as trains pass nearby.
- A skate park keeps some of our young visitors entertained while the more faint of heart observing the action from benches.
- Outdoor gym equipment in the style of Muscle Beach in California offers additional opportunities for good fitness in the middle of the city.
Sweeping lawns, picturesque streams and the Birmingham skyline make Railroad Park a prime spot for memorable events of all kinds, such as weddings, class reunions, or family reunions. Contact us for more information on Railroad Park facility rental and to get on the calendar for private events.
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!