When you contribute to the Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness, you support our work to keep the BWCAW wild for future generations.
Please note: If you choose "I would like to make this donation anonymously," the Friends will not receive your name or contact information. You will receive a receipt, but we will not be able to send you our quarterly newsletter, our e-mail communications, or event invitations. You will be recognized as "Anonymous" in our annual report.
The mission of Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness is to protect, preserve and restore the wilderness character of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and the Quetico-Superior ecosystem.
Our work includes:
- Research into issues that affect the Boundary Waters, including sulfide mining, motorized use, logging, climate change, and invasive species.
- Advocacy with federal and state agencies and lawmakers for the highest level of protection for the wilderness
- Educating our members and everyone who loves the BWCAW about threats to its wilderness character and how they can help
- Developing the next generation of wilderness stewards.
- Collaborating with government agencies and partner organizations.
Specific programs and projects include:
- Expert analysis into plans and proposals for developments that would harm the wilderness
- Substantive input through formal comments, regular meetings and frequent informal communication with relevant agencies to give voice to the wilderness and its users
- Communication via Web, social media, print, email and other means with our members and the public.
- Media outreach to help journalists understand and accurately cover issues affecting the wilderness
- Sponsored canoe trips to introduce disadvantaged youth to the joys of wilderness and help them understand their responsibility to help protect it.
- Organizing and funding volunteers to give back to wilderness and provide campsite and portage maintenance.
- Collaboration with land agencies and people in communities neighboring the BWCA to support a sustainable economy that respects wild areas