Ferret Wise Rescue & Rehabilitation Shelter works toward the prevention of cruelty to animals and serves the community by: providing education to public and humane workers pertaining to the care and maintenance of the domestic ferret; investigation of animal abuse and neglect; providing rehabilitation and placement services to domestic ferrets forwarded through animal investigation agents.
Ferret Wise Shelter was started as a state licensed shelter facility explicitly for the domestic ferret in January 1995. It was incorporated as a non-profit shelter in March of 1995, and remains a tax exempt incorporation with emphasis on education, humane worker education and abuse and neglect investigation of the domestic ferret in the State of New Hampshire.
Since its inception in 1995, the shelter has progressed beyond its initial mission to provide shelter and into a mode as educators and humane participants with the NH Federation of Humane Organizations.
How did we come this far? In the early days of rescue 1993 to 1994, prior to being a licensed shelter facility, Ferret Wise took in and transported ferrets for another state ferret shelter. Soon Ferret Wise was asked to nurse older, sicklier ferrets back to health. Along the way the shelter experienced some very sick "kids", but Ferret Wise accepted the challenges of these special kids. The special care continued and after the shelter incorporation Ferret Wise continued to see ferrets who were victims of man's negligence, abuse as well as those who were subjected to many terminal illness.
Ferret Wise Shelter became international educators in the summer of 1997 when their pamphlet "Ferrets - a Mini Guide" was translated into Hebrew. It is currently being distributed in Jerusalem, Israel by the local ferret organization. Ferret Wise will continue to assist our friends the ferrets in special ways. Programs include in home consultations on ferret ownership and training within a 75 mile radius, low cost rabies vaccination clinics, veterinary referral service, and speakers for educational and humane training programs.
The following are some of the services offered by Ferret Wise Shelter to the community:
* General care clinics - maintenance of the domestic ferret
* Mini-education sessions for groups/clubs by appointment
* Humane worker education seminars
* Abuse/neglect investigators
* Animal Cruelty seminars - contact for details and schedule.
* Rehabilitation facility for abuse/neglect victims
* Annual ferret (rabies) vaccination clinics
* Veterinary referral database
* Training consultations
* Shelter referral database
* Educational publications
* Quarterly ferret newsletter (by subscription)
* In home consultations (60 mile radius) for training, behavioral modification, ferret proofing - call the shelter for specifics.