Offering embodied spiritual inquiry through practice, service, and community connection.
Thank you, Friends and Dervishes, for your generous end-of-year gifts. These are deeply appreciated. We dance the light forward and help meet our current goal.
Over the summer, building on the Ravernrock Dance Barn interior has been steadily progressing and we can look forward to experiencing Dervish Dancemeditation summer 2013 in the high New Mexico desert magnificence. (Scroll down for more about Ravenrock Project and for updates.)
Our immediate goal is $20,000 to complete:
- the meditation hall
- simple summer kitchen
- camping pitches
- composting toilets & wash stations
- summer vegetable and herb garden
Our larger goal of $250,000 includes funds for purchase of additional adjacent land for community retreat, to be custodial of wilderness, and to endow the property for ongoing practice continuity.
A Bit about Ravenrock
“Wilderness holds the answers to more questions than we know how to ask.” – Nancy Newhall, This is the American Earth
Now, more than ever, we need time to kiss nature and to be kissed by nature. The Dervish Dancemeditation community engages a crucial new level of seeking. At Ravenrock, 160 acres of high desert terrain in Northeastern New Mexico, practitioners leave frenetic modern life to continue our rich spiritual practice in the remote quiet offered to us by magnificent Ponderosa forest, 100-mile vista of uninhabited canyon, and ancient rock rim. (For more about Raverock, visit dancemeditation.org.)
- Porch The 15 X 24 foot porch is complete. It provided an excellent staging area for our August work weekend volunteers as well as a welcome place to rest and enjoy the spacious view of Hermit’s Peak.
- Water Catchment Two additional water collection tanks with a capacity of 3000 gallons were added to the east side of the barn. Now both sides of the roof are able to collect water. Papercrete uses a lot of water so the rain that falls is getting used readily. But we have plenty of water. The winter snow melt will top off all the tanks and give us 6000 gallons.
- Summer Kitchen Work on the adjacent Winter Room, also 15 X 24, is complete. The Winter Room is so named because it will be fully insulated, with water in and out, as well as propane cook stove and countertops. During retreat, it will serve as our Kitchen.
The Dervish Society of America is dedicated to the path of evolutionary Sufism. DSA provides programs and opportunities for personal development, exploratory inquiry into embodied spirituality, and community connection through practice, service, and performance.