Bergquist Cool Aid Cooperating with Common-Hope to improve lives around the globe
On October 1, 2011 Team Cool Aid, a group of employees from The Bergquist Company, will participate in Common Hopes efforts to promote hope and opportunity in Guatemala, partnering with children, families and communities who want to participate in a process of development to improve their lives through education, health care and housing.
They need our help! More than half of Guatemala’s people live below the national poverty line, 15 percent in extreme poverty, and the country ranks 13th in the world for its level of income inequality, according to the GINI Index. Guatemalan families often live in one-room houses made of cornstalk and scrap metal, with little or no access to education, medical care, clean water or jobs with livable wages. They want to improve their lives if given the chance so partner with Common Hope, who requires them to actively participate in the development process – beginning with their child staying in school. Our team strongly believes in helping those who are trying to help themselves through the hardest of times.
Team Cool Aid is volunteering to do our part to foster a safer and healthier community by spending a week in Guatemala:
- Building homes in the local communities.
- Working in the schools to help stimulate and encourage learning through cultural exchange classes, art and craft activities.
- Accompanying social workers into local homes of affiliated families to observe the reality of their day-to-day lives.
- Assisting in the on-site construction area to make floor panels, fibro-lit walls and doors and other portions used in home building.
- Shadowing local people in doing their daily work.
- Sharing professional skills and knowledge with Common Hope’s staff to help strengthen their ability to work with families.
By sponsoring our Team, you will be supporting our mission trip and helping to fund the programs of Common Hope. All donations are tax deductible. To learn more about Common Hope, please visit: http://commonhope.org/
Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does. ~William James
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!