Please join us in our commitment to raise $1000 for A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation as part of Fitness Revolution Nation’s effort to donate $50,000 to a variety of local charities across the country…
Startling Facts About Lung Cancer
- Lung Cancer is the #1 Cancer Killer. It kills more people than breast, prostate, colon, liver, melanoma, and kidney cancers COMBINED!
- Over 60% of new cases are never smokers or former smokers, many of whom quit decades ago. One in five women and one in twelve men diagnosed with lung cancer have never smoked.
- Less money is spent on lung cancer research than on any other cancer. In 2007, the National Cancer Institute estimated it spent only $1,630 per lung cancer death compared to $13,452 per breast cancer death, $11,298 per prostate cancer death and $4,566 per colorectal death.
- An estimated 347,000 Americans are currently living with lung cancer. It is estimated that there will be 215,020 new cases and 161,840 deaths from lung cancer in the United States in 2008. (Both non-small cell and small cell combined).
- Approximately 175,000 people are diagnosed with lung cancer in the US each year. Every 3 minutes another person gets the bad news.
- The overall survival rate for Lung Cancer is still 15.5% – the same as it was 40 years ago. Breast cancer has advanced to an 89% survival rate. Prostate cancer is now at 99%.
- The majority of Lung Cancer patients are being diagnosed so late they will die within one year.
- Over 450 people die a day of Lung Cancer. That’s 19 people an hour.
“Unfortunately, most people are just unaware of the facts about lung cancer,” says Shanna Ballsrud, co-founder of A Breath of Hopee. “Most people think it’s primarily a smoking related disease. The reality is 60% of newly diagnosed cancer patients never smoked or quite decades ago. Another fact that makes most people sit up is that lung cancer is the #1 cancer killer, yet for every $9 spent on breast cancer, only $1 is spent on lung cancer in the US.”
Join the Conversation
PO Box 387
Wayzata, MN 55391
Support A Breath of Hope Lung Foundation by helping us raise awareness about lung cancer and support gifted U.S. lung cancer scientists!
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!