We Are All Healers - Join us in healing Toxic Stress
Have you heard about Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and their impact on later-life health?
According to the ACEs Study, an ongoing collaboration between the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Kaiser Permanente, there is a strong correlation between ACEs and the leading causes of death in adults -- including heart disease, chronic lung disease and certain cancers. The study found that the greater the number of ACE factors present in childhood, the more severe the subsequent pathology. For example, a person with an ACEs score of ≥ 4 is 260% more likely to have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) as a person with a score of 0.
The Center for Youth Wellness exists to improve the health of children and adolescents exposed to ACEs.
Our approach is threefold:
- To Prevent. We are helping to prevent toxic stress by raising national awareness among those who have the power to make a difference – from parents to pediatricians to policy makers.
- To Screen. We screen all kids who walk through the Center’s doors for Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and toxic stress – and we are making sure pediatricians throughout San Francisco and the country know how to diagnose toxic stress.
- To Heal. We are a national leader in developing the best ways to heal kids experiencing toxic stress.
We are more than an organization. We are part of a national effort to revolutionize pediatric medicine and transform the way society responds to the challenges facing children. We are determined to defy the statistics. With your help, we know we can do it. Together, we will transform the lives of countless kids – giving them a fair shot to grow up healthy, to succeed in life and to run, leap and giggle along the way. Every child deserves that chance. Learn more about us on our interim Website.
WAYS TO HELP:
- See how a small gift can help heal a child on the right hand side of this page
- Take a look at our Toys R' Us Wishlist and make a child smile. (Under Find A Wishlist, change the tab to Wishlist# and enter 32086459.)
- Join our growing community of Healers: on Facebook and on Twitter
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!