Arts on the Horizon is a non-profit theatre with a specific focus of providing performances and education programs for children 0-6.
Arts on the Horizon's performances are designed to take place in an intimate setting where children not only feel comfortable to learn and explore, but are also an integral part of the performance. We have the utmost respect for children and want, what may be their first theatrical performance, to entertain them, challenge them, spark creativity, and enhance the imaginative play in which many children this age engage.
Each education program provides targeted exploration of themes and ideas in order to help children enhance their language development, socialization, and fine and gross motor skills; all within a meaningful, nurturing environment where children can develop their sense of self and increase their knowledge and understanding of the world around them.
- For excellence and innovation in theatre for the very young.
- To produce and present high-quality theatre for young audiences and their families.
- To focus on clear and accessible storytelling.
- The arts play an important role in the life of a child, and the results can be seen through the development of their critical thinking skills, self-confidence, and independence.
- In arts education, and our need as a society to develop and foster the creativity of children.
- That practical experience is just as important as exposure to arts in the development of a child's overall education.
- To partner with schools in Northern Virginia, as well as local businesses and organizations in the DC metro area, in order to expose more young people to theatre.
- To provide arts training programs for young people not only in-front of the curtain, but behind the curtain as well.
Our inaugural show was Drumming with Dishes which opened May 2011 in Alexandria, VA. It has since been performed on the Kennedy Center’s Millennium Stage and at the Atlas Performing Arts Center, as part of the Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Legacy Project in fall 2011. It has also was selected to be a part of the national One Theatre World festival in Cleveland, OH in May 2013. Our second production, Out of the Box, premiered in March 2012 in Alexandria, VA and then transferred to the Atlas Performing Arts Center for a one-week engagement as part of their Theatre for the Very Young series. The show was remounted last fall, as part of the Kaleidoscope for Kids Festival in Alexandria, VA, and had a repeat engagement at the Atlas Performing Arts Center in November 2012. The Young Spectaculars and the Front Yard Adventure is the company’s third world premiere production, which premiered in February at Downtown Baptist Church in Alexandria, VA and recently was featured on the Kennedy Center's Millennium Stage as part of the 2013 Page-to-Stage Festival. Additionally, Drumming with Dishes: The Holiday Edition was produced in December 2012 and 2013. Under the Canopy marks the company’s first piece geared specifically for children ages 0-2 and its 4th world premiere production. We also have three new shows currently in development. The 2013-2014 season marks our second full season of shows.
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!